Saturday, February 22, 2014

Pancakes

I've been eager to try this quinoa pancake recipe that I saw on the Dr. Oz show:
http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/quinoa-blueberry-pancakes.  I used almond milk and omitted the blueberries. 

When I'm in the mood for pancakes I reach for Krusteaz brand waffle mix. It's my favorite and has a great flavor but since it has gluten I need another option. I was in the market for a blender and was able to get a Ninja on sale at Macy's which had great reviews. This quinoa pancake recipe was the first item made in my new blender. My first blender ever, actually.

I loved the concept of making it with quinoa since it is a whole grain and has protein. I blended it on multiple speeds as I was getting familiar with the blender but I also wanted a smooth batter. Once cooked, the pancakes had a soft grain texture similar to polenta but more fine. The pancakes were light and thin, in between a typical pancake texture and a crepe. I thought they were fine for a pancake that you can also get good nutrients from. What impressed me is how they kept me full for many hours, much longer than traditional pancakes, without weighing me down. I will also look for a gluten-free recipe that mimics the fluffy, cakey texture that I prefer. 





No comments: